Belle Boyd Home
Laid out in 1773 by General Adam Stephen, the City has a wealth of architecturally historic buildings. Much of the City was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Martinsburg has long served as the center for culture and commerce in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia. It served as the county seat for all of what is now Berkeley and Jefferson Counties until 1801, and for Morgan County until 1820.
The original town was laid out by General Adam Stephen as an industrial center along Tuscarora Creek in 1773 and was incorporated in 1778.
In 1843, the B&O Railroad brought new growth and prosperity. At this time, large warehouses and hotels were erected, as well as new industrial complexes. Martinsburg's location and railroad brought it much attention during the Civil War. Great losses were suffered during the war and Martinsburg was slow to recover from both the physical and emotional scarring of this national tragedy.
1. 208 South Queen Street
Boarman House circa 1802
Considered to be one of the oldest brick buildings in downtown Martinsburg. This house was built by Philip Nadenbousch. In 1832 it became the home of Rear Admiral Charles Boarman. Boarman served in the War of 1812 and the Civil War. The Boarman House is the home of the Boarman Arts Center and the Martinsburg - Berkeley County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
2. 100 W. King Street
Berkeley County Courthouse circa 1855-1856
The present Courthouse incorporates a smaller courthouse
built on this site in the 18th century. Pressed tin ceilings and
some original lighting fixtures, iron vaults and hardware still
grace the interior. During the Civil War, Belle Boyd was held
here after her arrest as a Confederate spy. It continues to serve
as the seat of the county government.
3. 126 East Race Street
Belle Boyd House * 1853
This Greek Revival Mansion was built by Benjamin Reed Boyd,
father of Belle Boyd, who became a Confederate spy, West Virginia's
first authoress, and first actress abroad. It is now the home of the
Berkeley County Historical Society and Berkeley County Historic
4. 229 East Martin Street
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad * 1842
The B & O Railroad was completed to Martinsburg from Baltimore,
Maryland in 1842, and became a major passenger and freight center.
All but the stationhouse was destroyed by Stonewall Jackson's troops
during the Civil War. The Roundhouse was rebuilt in 1866. A major
labor strike occurred here in 1877.
5. 309 East John Street
Adam Stephen House circa 1774 - 1789
This native limestone house was built on a hill above Tuscarora
Creek by Revolutionary War General Adam Stephen on Lot 104
of the 255 acres upon which he platted Martinsburg. In 1959,
William Evers donated the house to the City of Martinsburg, and
the Adam Stephen Memorial Association, Inc. was formed to restore
and to furnish the building. It is furnished in the 1750 - 1830 period.
It is open to the public Saturday and Sunday, 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm,
May through October. Admission is free.
6. West King Street
John Seibert Boak House circa 1873
John Seibert Boak, 1839 - 1906, Confederate soldier in
"Jackson's Horse Artillery". He participated in the battles
of Gettysburg, New Market, Winchester, Fischer's Hill, and
Liberty Mills. He was a dentist and built the brick building in 1873.
He had a son, Seibert Davis Boak, D.D.S, M.D. who served as a
Dental Surgeon in 1901. He was promoted to Colonel in 1917.
7. 605 South Queen Street
Boydville circa 1812
Built by Elisha Boyd in 1812.
"In the early years of the nineteenth century when Martinsburg was only a comfortable village and what are now streets were gardens, cow pastures and forests, there stood at the southern edge of town, a white plastered home surrounded by spacious grounds shaded by oaks, elms, and maples."
google map link